By Barbara Houghton, Jane Licht and Meg Neilsen
This highly researched history of Village of McFarland and surrounding area covers not only early white settlers, but also geologic forces shaping the land and Native American Indian cultures who enjoyed its abundance. Norwegian and German settlers coming off the train often stayed in founder William McFarland’s combination home and hotel built in 1857. “Second Lake” (re-named Lake Waubesa), provided ice for refrigeration, and recreation for locals and tourists. Early businesses, schools, churches, “doings” (various forms of recreation and events over the years), parkland, municipal government and a chapter on the Town of Dunn are presented in this remarkable and comprehensive local history.
Contains many early photographs.
Published in 1998. 274 pages.
There are no reviews yet.